Your basket is currently empty!
This project has been supported by the Creative Central: NCL programme, funded by the North of Tyne Combined Authority and Newcastle City Council.
Newcastle Arts Centre are pleased to announce an open call for artists to take part in an exhibition opportunity this autumn.
Four selected artists will exhibit their artworks in the newly-refurbished Newcastle Arts Centre Gallery, in an exhibition which will form part of a six-month programme of events, exhibitions and skills development opportunities for emerging and established local artists. There is no given theme for this open call, but a theme for the show will be developed with the selected artists.
As part of a sixteen-week programme, selected artists will each receive support in the following ways:
- Group exhibition in Newcastle Arts Centre Gallery (open to public for five weeks)
- 1:1 mentoring with the Artist Development Coordinator
- Exhibition group planning
- A micro bursary of £1200 for time and materials, paid in instalments
- Limited access to a Makerspace to fabricate artworks
- Business skills and professional development support
- Promotional support (social media, printed advertisements and published press)
- Technical skills support (for fabrication and installation of artworks)
The exhibition will be open for a total of five weeks, with a preview evening on Friday 8th September. As part of the overarching programme, free workshops will be made available to the public led by some of the selected artists (a further paid opportunity), and an open forum evening for people to attend and discuss careers, opportunities and the artworks on display.
What We Are Looking For
We are looking for local, early-career and more established artists living or working in Newcastle upon Tyne, who are interested in developing their artistic practice in an exhibition context. In particular, we are looking for individuals who believe that they would benefit from the mentoring and support that this opportunity provides, without prior access to exhibition spaces within the city centre.
We are open to all media, and will assist in the process of developing new work if necessary and possible. We are also interested in works that explore social, cultural, and political ideas, with particular reference to the local geographic area.
Work can be made for sale at the event and is subject to a 33% gallery fee (77% artist fee).
Applications to be made through curatorspace.com. Paper application forms will be given upon request.
Our Artist Development Coordinator will meet with members of the Newcastle Arts Centre Board of Trustees to select the artists and their works and their decision will be final. The panel will consider the following criteria:
- The quality of the work
- Whether the artist will benefit from the skills development programme
- The originality of the work
- Submissions open 30th June
- Submissions deadline…Thursday 20th July, 11:59pm
- Participants informed by… Thursday 3rd August
- Installation week… Begins Saturday 2nd September
- Exhibition launch… Friday 8th September, 5pm.
- Deinstall week… 16th October – 20th October
Please note, if successful, your final artworks must be delivered to the Newcastle Arts Centre no later than 28th August.
Artists are responsible for their own insurance and the prompt collection of any unsold work.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
This opportunity has been made possible by Creative Central: NCL (formerly known as Newcastle City’s Culture & Creative Zone).